Listing of some of the great CT birding spots. Connecticut has more than its share of great birders , but the one area of the state that receives less attention than it deserves is the northeast quarter. I'll define this area as anywhere east of the Connecticut River and North of Willimantic (Windham), although, of course, I may stretch the boundaries at any time. 2013 - I'm traveling more - to the SW so far, and I'll add some info about my adventures there.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

What's Up with Me and Boston Hollow?

Anyone who has looked at my Ct list posts or followed this blog knows that I have concentrated almost exclusively on the Boston Hollow area, Ashford, for more than a month now.   In fact, I have gone there almost every day that I have not had to work (and once after work).  There are two reasons: I have seen and heard more birds there than any other place I have ever  been in Ct, and it is a wonderful place for me to re-learn (or just plain learn) bird songs, now that I am using the "Songfinder" hearing aid.  Because there is such a high concentration of birds and they are so vocal, I have been fairly successful in actually learning a great many of the birds there, probably a majority of the birds I will ever hear in CT.  I hope you can imagine how exciting this is for me, since I have been barely able to hear a bird at all ever since I started seriously birding.  As I've said before, my biggest regret is that I did not get and use the device much sooner.  I can't imagine how many birds I have passed by, never knowing they were there.  The biggest struggle I sometimes now have is remembering to keep looking for the bird at the same time I am listening to it.  I find myself with head down, concentrating on the song.  Of course, now I often hear a bird but never see it, something new to me but, I'm sure, normal to people who have always been able to hear them.  I have even developed a new hobby as a result of my new-found hearng, trying to record bird songs.  Unfortunately, I have to wear the headphones even to hear my own recordings. Below are links to some files I have recorded in the last couple of days, when there was little wind and it was fairly quiet.  The Ravens gave me a present by returing and calling loudly for most of the day, sometimes right over my head.  A blue-headed Vireo must have decided to clear out the pipes one more time, as he sang lustily for most of the morning.  Links to recordings below.  By the way, if ever you would like to download any of my recordings for any reason, don't hesitate.  I believe there is a link for that on the site where you can listen.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/yyM5PEDL/Blue-headed_Vireo_4_7-7-10.html


http://www.4shared.com/audio/4xJP3D5y/Raven_01_7-7-10.html

http://www.4shared.com/audio/LYcUULQw/Raven_2_7-7-10.html

http://www.4shared.com/audio/jFEtO4df/Raven_3_7-7-10.html

http://www.4shared.com/audio/ABu2bQCB/Dickie_bird_medley_-_raven_in_.html
(see if you can hear the Ravens in the background)

http://www.4shared.com/audio/cSEKLiye/Scarlet_Tanager_7-7-10.html

I'd love to know what you think of these.
By the way, my cumulative count for birds in Boston Hollow year-to-date is 82.  That is not a very impressive number, but there is little if any opportunity to find shorebirds, waterbirds, or ducks and geese, etc. there.  I have now found a couple of places that might produce a duck or two in season this fall or next year.  Also, I did not know the area well enough or spend enough time there to exhaust all the possibilities for migrants this spring.  I figure a realistic total to shoot for is about 100 birds that could reasonably be expected to be seen there.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Years ago when I lived in Storrs I birded Boston Hollow frequently - saw my first Canada Warbler there, around 1984. The place is a treasure. Now I live west of Hartford and I don't like driving long distances for birding (all that gas!) but I often think of Boston Hollow and its little boreal pockets.

I am very nearsighted but have exceellent hearing - I do much of my birding by ear and sometimes never see the birds at all -- somewhat opposite to your situation. I'm so glad that you are hearing birds now. Wish I could get stronger eyes. :-)

I read all your posts on CTBirds - they bring back memories of birding in Eastern CT. And now I am following your blog, as well.

About Me

My photo
Old enough to know better (but I don't) and finally retired so I have the free time I've always wanted to pursue my interests - like Birding and Hiking!!